Emu Plains General Cemetery
Emu Plains General Cemetery sits on an undulating, triangular block bounded by Short and Nixon Streets and the main western railway line. It began as a cemetery attached to St Paul’s Anglican Church in the 1850s. Later, provision was made for other denominational portions to be added.
In 1967, control of the cemetery was passed to Penrith City Council. The foundation stone for the Anglican Church at Emu Plains was laid in 1848. Unfortunately, a major bushfire in 1929 burnt down the Rectory and destroyed many of the Church records. There was heavy reliance on the inscriptions on memorials and tombstones in place at the time to ‘rebuild’ the burial records.
Sometime after the completion of the Nepean River bridge and railway in 1867, other denominational sections were established. Part of the cemetery site stands over the site of the prison quarters and kitchen garden of the 1819 government farm.
Short Street, Emu Plains 2750 NSW
Penrith City has 14 cemeteries, most of them closed and of national historical significance. Council maintains the historic St Stephen the Martyr Cemetery in High Street, Penrith on behalf of the St Stephens Anglican Parish.
Council directly manages 3 operational cemeteries:
- Penrith General Cemetery – Cox Avenue, Kingswood
- Emu Plains General Cemetery – Mundy Street, Emu Plains and
- St Marys General Cemetery – Great Western Highway, St Marys.